Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chips & Salsa

Hey Friends,
Just wanted to give you a quick update on all the "haps" in my life right now! As you've probably noticed I have labeled this update "Chips & Salsa" ... well what many of you might not know is that Chips & Salsa are hard to come by where I live, except when you can get to the Costco which takes up about a whole day to go there, shop & come back so you always make sure and stock up every now and then or send a list with someone who is going! Recently I had someone pick me up some Chips & Salsa on their last trip to Costco and it has seriously added some much needed flavor to my life! I have grown up having this as a staple in my house and so when it takes a lot of time & effort to get it, you appreciate it EVEN more! I don't know there's just something about Chips & Salsa that adds a bit of comfort  to my life.

Now that I hopefully have your attention...
Recently I have been discussing the topic of contentment with some of my friends. It's really interesting to me that the longer I stay committed to something,  the more this idea of being "content" in life seems to rear it's ugly head. I have been thinking about some conversations I had with some people during my Christmas break back home, people I had a deep respect for, people who are older and more experienced than I am ... and how even in the midst of their lives, doing things they have long desired to do, there is still this void of not feeling content or fulfilled in life. The more I have thought about this and began to process it I realize that we were never meant to feel content or fulfilled on this earth ... we can only give God everything we have, and with that even our greatest gifts to him are filthy rags & offerings and all we have is a hope in him, a hope that says he will extend his mercy towards us each and every morning. We can only set our hope of fulfillment on the Son who is seated on the Throne, who reigns above all things. Eternity with HIM is the ultimate fulfillment.

While thinking about this, realizing we live in the "age of tension" ...I came to the realization that it doesn't matter what my age is, what I want to accomplish in my own life, what things I desire to have in life (marriage, kids, etc.) ... Why? Because I am created and called simply to follow the greatest commandment: To Love God and to Love my neighbor and that by doing those things I will have life.
How do I do this? By preaching and living out the Gospel. Obviously there are a lot of other things that fall under this, but it's simple really. As God's daughter am I living out this commandment? Am I loving him, serving him, obeying him with my entire heart? Am I serving & loving my neighbor by being Christ to them or by proclaiming the gospel to them?

I know God desires that I live this way, that I walk according to his will for my life and I desire to live a life of obedience to him. I know that as I walk with God in this way that His promises in my life are true and real and will come to pass in his ways and his timing. I can't expect to be fulfilled in this life. I have come to realize that I may end up not getting everything I hope for or desire or that I'll get to experience everything I want to in this life ... but what I can expect is that I have a place waiting for me in eternity with my Creator - because that is what has been promised to those who choose to believe in Christ and allow their identity to be shaped by Christ. Those who choose to walk in this commandment.

This is and will continue to be a challenge for me in life. I hope it also becomes a challenge for you in your own. Especially during the times where we feel the most discontent, that in those times we could learn how to truly live out this commandment given to us out of Love from our Father, our Father that knows what is the absolute best for each one of us.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself .... do these things and you will live." [Luke 10.27-28b]


No comments:

Post a Comment